Monday, June 27, 2011

What to make of him?

Matthew 27:1-10

Judas is one of those characters whom I don't know what to do with.  Am I supposed to hate him for turning in Jesus?  Am I supposed to feel for him when he realizes what he's done?  Am I supposed to weep for him when he kills himself?
The fact that he goes so far as to commit suicide over this whole episode seems to me to show that he really didn't intend for things to turn out this way.  I think he was trying to force Jesus' hand, so that He would rise up and fulfill His destiny as deliverer of His people.  But when Judas realized that wasn't going to happen, he also realized that He just killed his friend and destroyed something special.  Judas wasn't completely evil.

The chief priests and elders... well that's a different story.  When Judas tries to return the money because it is blood money, they say, "so what".  They know it, and they don't care.  They have their own interests to look after, which is exactly what they just did.  Not that Judas deserves a medal or something, but at least he saw the error of his ways, which is more than can be said for the priests and elders.

No comments: