Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cartoon Headless Chickens

Matthew 28:1-10

What strikes me most about this account of the resurrection is the chaos surrounding it.  It's not a sedate account of what happened.  There's angels, earthquakes, the terrified guards, the women running to tell the other disciples, and then Jesus shows up in the middle of it. I can imagine the people involved running around like cartoon headless chickens.  It gives me the impression of being a wild and unsettled episode, which it was.  Whether all of those events happened in that sort of order and such, I don't know.  The other gospels vary a little bit on how the story goes, but I like this version because of the feeling it communicates.  It's filled with excitement and chaos and people who don't know what to do with themselves, just like I imagine it really would have happened.

No comments: