Monday, December 12, 2011

Relatives

Luke 1:57-80

I've known that Jesus and John were relatives, but I've never really thought about it.  I don't think they lived very close together.  Mary went to live with Elizabeth in a town in the hill country of Judea for three months before either boy was born.  They must have been somewhat close, even good friends.  I don't know any of my cousins very well.  Even the ones that lived close to me.  My wife knows hers better, but her family in general is better connected than mine.  But I figure Mary and Elizabeth would have still seen each other through the years, meaning that their boys would have know each other, at least a little bit.  What did they play together?  What did they talk about?  Did they find a kindred spirit in each other because of who they were, and who they knew themselves to be?

The Bible only gives us these little snapshots.  They had bigger stories than just what fits on a few pages and a few lines.  I wonder if Jesus went to any of John's birthday parties?  And most importantly, did they discuss what they were going to be when they grew up?  Those were two people who were important figures in history, and knew it from a young age.

No comments: