Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Matthew 26:57-68

People do things in the heat of the moment that they regret.  I do that all the time.  I have a number of regrets that hang over me that resulted form hasty comments or decisions.  I wouldn't say that they weigh on me, but they have stuck with me, and there is a twinge of regret when they are randomly called to memory.

I'll set the scene for one of those regrets.  High school assembly.  The announcement comes that our band teacher will be moving on.  I was in the band, and I actually didn't have any problem with our teacher.  He was a little odd, but then again, so am I, so that means nothing.  And looking back, he probably wasn't really that odd. It's high school students that are odd.  But anyways, this teacher was made fun of by most students, and I fell in line with that.  So when his leaving was announced, in an instant I thought it would get some laughs if I was to cheer really loud, one of my classic, loud cheers.  The instant I did it, I somehow knew I would regret it for a long time... especially when no one laughed.  Sorry, Mr. Cotton.  You were a good music teacher.  I just wasn't a very good student.

In verse 67-68, I wonder if we witness something of the same.  In every situation, there are hangers-on looking for affirmation from the crowd.

"And some slapped Him, saying, 'Prophesy for us, you Christ!  Who hit you?'"

Could it be that these were some of those insecure people, like me, looking for some sort of laughs from the crowd?  Did they regret it later on, after they saw Him crucified?  In hindsight, did it really make sense to treat Him so harshly?

These characters aren't important in the history of the world, but most of us fall in to that category.  The narrative is about Jesus, and what happens to Him.  But they are a part of the story, and in that brief instant, when their lives brushed up against his, they made a snap decision that has been read and retold to billions of people over the course of two thousand years.  I don't think that's how I would want to be remembered.

No comments: