Friday, May 06, 2011

Betrayal

Matthew 26:47-56

I've always wondered about Judas.  I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when rationally I know they don't deserve it.  Thus, with Judas, I look for the motive that would make him turn in his friend and master.  I hope to find something that paints a better picture of him, even though there are passages that paint a sinister picture of him being a liar and and thief.  I've always been partial to the thought that he was taking things into his own hands and trying to force Jesus' hand.

A very large band of people came to arrest Jesus on that dark, difficult night.  They obviously figured there would be some trouble.  I think everyone, except Jesus, felt that way.  Judas maybe thought that if Jesus wasn't going to go looking for trouble, he'd bring it to Him.  Peter had his sword ready, and chopped off someone's ear.  The glorious revolution had begun!

But Jesus was having none of that.  Both Judas and Peter were to be denied.  Jesus handed Himself over... just like that.  Not that people really knew what they were looking for from all of this; but it certainly wasn't what actually transpired.

Judas probably had mixed reasons for what he did.  Partly the money, partly the "revolution",  partly some other host of reasons, but ultimately for himself, I believe.

That's the biggest betrayal of Jesus.  Acting on our own behalf when we think it's in His best interests.  How many atrocities have been committed in this way?

No comments: