Sunday, July 24, 2011

Zombie Apocalypse?

Matthew 27:45-56

I've always wondered what happened to those people who came up out of their tombs in this passage.  They were dead, but now, being alive, that would throw things off.  Did they go home?  How long did they live for this time?  That short statements stirs up so many questions that don't get answered.

One other thing I wonder about is if we sometimes make things more... complicated than they need to be.  What I mean is that in this passage, Jesus calls out, "My God, my God.  Why have you forsaken me?"  I've heard all sorts of debate about the whys and the hows of Jesus being forsaken.  But it's usually not stuff that's arrived at from the text itself.  I've always thought it was just Jesus drawing the people's attention to that particular Psalm that he quotes, in order that they might realize what was going on.  There may have been more to it than that, but that part of it makes the most sense to me.  We're so quick to... over-spiritualize things that the easy answer sometimes just doesn't seem good enough.

No comments: