Thursday, July 21, 2011

Jumping on the Bandwagon

Matthew 27:32-44

You can always count on the crowd to react predictably.  Take the Vancouver riots.  I kept telling people that place would explode if they lost the Stanley Cup.  And it did.  But I don't think for the reasons I initially thought it would.  Sure, there was a lot of pent up emotion that boiled over and helped things out, but it seems like there were some people intent on making trouble from the beginning, and they knew that the crowd would join them.  I'm sure those people won't be caught, and the people that joined in along the way will take the fall.

During Jesus' crucifixion, the crowds joined in.  "Save yourself!"  "We'll believe in you if you come down from the cross."  Even the robbers, being crucified with Him, sling their insults.  How did Jesus end up at the point where He was so humiliated as this?  The ones in power were intent on making trouble, and the crowd reacted predictably.

At the church I used to work at, the first pastor I worked with was fired in this way.  Certain "leaders" were intent on getting rid of him, and whether they (actually we) realized it, we acted predictably and aided in his dismissal.  Not long after, the same thing happened to me.  It only takes a few people to make a big mess, unless we make a conscious effort to stop, think and not follow the crowd in doing evil.  I know the crucifixion of Jesus was necessary, and as horrible as it was for Him, I appreciate what He did, but how much differently might things have gone if some people had stood up against the whole thing.  I don't think God "forced" those involved to crucify Jesus... none of them were puppets.  I do think they reacted predictably, just as He knew they would.

No comments: